Early Years and Middle Years Literacy programs are implemented at the school. All literature is graded so children can move through the school being matched to suitable texts. Teachers ensure that every child has the best chance to read as early as practical. A Bridges program runs for children to further support their reading skills. Writing is a high priority across the school, with emphasis on genre and realistic word usage. Children are encouraged to develop their reading through involvement in the Premier’s Reading Challenge and our Lexile program. Regular at home reading is an essential part of our program at all levels.
Maths is taught at every level of the school, and wherever possible, in a real life or hands on situations where understanding is strengthened and learning can be applied readily to related situations. Learning is scaffolded to enable children to build upon previous understandings. Parent helpers are welcomed. Family Maths nights are held, where parents and children can learn together in a fun situation.
Information and communications technology (ICT) is the hardware and software that enables data to be digitally processed, stored and communicated. ICT can be used to access, process, manage and present information; model and control events; construct new understanding; and communicate with others.
ICT, an interdisciplinary domain, focuses on providing students with the tools to transform their learning and to enrich their learning environment. The knowledge, skills and behaviours identified for this domain enable students to:
- develop new thinking and learning skills that produce creative and innovative insights
- develop more productive ways of working and solving problems individually and collaboratively
- create information products that demonstrate their understanding of concepts, issues, relationships and processes
- express themselves in contemporary and socially relevant ways
- communicate locally and globally to solve problems and to share knowledge
- understand the implications of the use of ICT and their social and ethical responsibilities as users of ICT.